Let’s explore some Raya dishes! Simple yet delectable, Lontong is a well-loved dish during the festive season. Brimming with an assortment of nutritional vegetables, this lighter dish balances out more heavily-spiced meat dishes at the feast table.
- 400g White Rice
- 800ml Water
- 1 Pinch Salt (Seasoning)
Lontong Base & Vegetables
- 2 Carrots (Peeled, In Bite-Sized Pieces)
- 1/2 Chinese Round Cabbage (Bite-Sized Chunks)
- 1 Small Turnip (Peeled, In Bite-Sized Pieces)
- Long Beans (quantity to preference)
- Hard Boiled Eggs (quantity to preference)
- 1 Packet of Curry Fish Head / Lontong Paste
- 100ml Coconut Milk
- 700ml Water
1. Prepare your ketupat (compressed rice cakes) by adding rice and water in 1:2 ratio to a glass container or appropriate size. Sprinkle a pinch of salt for seasoning.
2. Steam for 30 minutes. (Pro-tip: Use a Steamer Stock Pot so it can also be used to cook the lontong vegetables and gravy later!)
3. Once done, it’s time to compress the rice to form the ketupat! There are 2 ways to do this: (1) press down on the rice evenly with a spoon such that it’s compressed against the container walls or (2) cover the rice with a cling wrap and press down on it with another container above.
4. Set the ketupat aside to cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
5. Cook your hard boiled eggs and set them aside.
6. Prepare a pot with 700ml water and add the carrots, cabbage, turnip and long beans, then curry fish head / lontong paste and coconut milk.
7. Mix well and bring to a boil. Add tau kwa and cook for another 10 minutes.
8. Remove your ketupat from the containers and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
9. Pour the lontong gravy with vegetables over the ketupat and add hard boiled eggs, sliced in half. There you have it—mouth-watering, delicious lontong perfect for all gatherings!
Get your multi-functional Kukeri Steamer Stock Pot and shop flavourful pastes and cooking kits from Amocan below for more fuss-free, delicious meals!