Singapore Rainbow Kueh Lapis
As we celebrate Singapore’s food heritage, be sure to try your hands at Singapore Rainbow Kueh Lapis, also known as Kueh Lapis Sagu, or 九层糕 (9-layer kueh) in Chinese.
Whether you savour it layer by layer or chomp down several layers at once, there’s one thing that we can all agree on—this Nonya kueh is an absolute delight to the taste buds 😋 We sure can’t get enough of its wonderful springy texture + rich coconut and pandan flavours! Not to mention, it’s also a beauty to behold 😍
- 400ml Coconut Cream
- 325ml Hot Water
- 200g Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence / Pandan Essence OR 5 to 6 Pandan (Screwpine) Leaves (washed & knotted)
- 195g Tapioca Flour
- 85g Rice Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- Food Colouring
1. Dissolve the sugar in hot water and add vanilla / pandan essence OR pandan leaves. If using pandan leaves, simmer it in the sugar syrup then discard the leaves and strain the syrup to remove any pandan fibres.
2. Add coconut milk, tapioca flour and rice flour to the syrup. Mix well, then strain the mixture several times to remove lumps as well as excess bubbles.
3. Portion out the mixture and add desired food colouring to each portion. 4. Prepare your glass dish by brushing it with a small amount of oil.
5. Bring water to a boil and warm the glass dish in the steamer for 7 minutes.
6. Pour the mixture for the 1st layer into the glass dish. Cover and let it steam for 7 minutes. (Pro-tip: Stir the portioned mixtures before adding them to the glass dish as the flours may have separated if left untouched for some time.)
7. When the time is up, check that the layer is fully solid and sticky to the touch before adding the next layer.
8. Add the subsequent layers one by one and steam each layer for 5 minutes, except for the final layer. Steam the final layer for 10 minutes.
9. When the time is up, take your cooked kueh lapis out of the steamer and leave it aside to cool for at least 2 hours. Brush the top layer with some oil for a better texture.
10. Once your kueh lapis has cooled, cut it into desired portions and serve!
Get your multi-functional Kukeri Steamer Stock Pot and glassware for more fuss-free, delicious meals!